[ntp:questions] Re: SUSE OSS 10 NTPD Clock Drift

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 21 18:07:50 UTC 2006

garskof wrote:

>I changed my "tick" using adjtimex from 10000 to 9955 and the time now
>seems to hold to within a second or two. WIll play with that again,
>think I need to push it up a bit higher to get it in range of ntpd. I
>have not had a chance to reboot it yet, will the tick change hold past
>a boot, or do I need to reset the tick every time the box boots?
>
>--
>garskof

adjtimex adjusts kernel variables; the results will not be preserved
across a reboot.

Write a tiny C program to call adjtimex and run it each time the system
boots and before starting ntpd.  The amount you need to put your clock
within 500 PPM should be more or less constant and ntpd should be able
to correct for any minor variations.