[ntp:questions] Re: Reach error codes

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Wed Jan 25 17:42:52 UTC 2006

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Hi Richard. Thanks for the fine explanation as to how, "Reach" works. I still
> have some problems with keeping the time synched on my 2 Linux machines. I
> know that I am on dialup, and perhaps is not the best way to go using NTP.
> The worst problem appears to be when I leave both machines running, and
> connected to the Internet when I have to take a sleep. When the dialup
> connection times out, the machine which retrieves time from the Internet has
> problems. The system clock actually stops. The other machine, which retrieves
> time across the LAN from this machine, has no problems, and retains the
> correct time (as near as dammit). irrespective to how much the time has
> slipped on the machine that retrieves time from the Internet. There is no
> problem with the HWC on the machine connected to the Internet for time
> retrieval, because, if I shut it down, and just leave the other machine
> online, when I boot up this machine the following day the time is ok, and is
> more or less in sync with the machine that has been running all night. The
> problem strangely appears to be with the mouse.
>
> As an example. Two machines. The one retrieving time from the machine
> retrieving time from NTP servers on the Internet is as good as correct. The
> other machine which is using the 3 time servers as below, has a clock which
> has stopped (several hours before). I move the mouse pointer, and the clock
> starts. Weird ! Now I reset the clock on this machine, using the reset time
> and date facility. I leave this open. After a few minutes the clock stops
> again, but moving the mouse pointer the clock then restarts. Very weird. The
> mice I am using on both machines are, A4 Tech (Scrolltrack 4D) . Strangely
> again. I. From time to time used to experience mouse pointer freeze-ups when
> using Kmail, but since using NTP these have gone away. I know this is all a
> bit weird, but has anybody else using these mice had problems like this?

It sounds to me like you have a problem with the mouse, the mouse driver
or the mouse hardware inside the machine. I don't think this has
anything to do with NTP. Your description of your problem is there is
some sort of interaction between the mouse and the clock. Nothing should
be stopping the clock. Are you talking about the hardware clock or a GUI
displaying the clock?

Danny