[ntp:questions] Re: Audit program for scanning hosts for local time accuracy.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jan 26 14:31:27 UTC 2006

themeanies wrote:

> Maybe what I asked in my original posting was too broad to accomplish in
> one fell swoop.  Let's break it down a little further.  Lets say I have
> 500 Windows XP/2000 workstations.  200 are in a domain to which I am an
> admin, the other 300 are not domain joined but I have access to
> credentials.  If I have proper *windows* authentication there should be
> a way to query the time on all these machines.  Maybe not via (S)NTP but
> some windows mechanism.  I'm specifically looking to find machines which
> are not syncing properly to my Time server or are not set at all.
>

>> RFC compliant SNTP clients are NOT supposed to act as servers.
>> Microsoft's implementation is broken in this regard so that any
>> Windows 2000 or XP system running W32TIME will tell you what it thinks
>> the time is.  I don't believe that earlier versions of Windows than
>> W2K support this.
>
> My workstations should be configured to query an SNTP server via w32time
> but I can't find any daemon running that would tell me what it's local
> time is.  This is daytime TCPport13 we're describing right?

For Windows systems like this you are definitely in the wrong place
since that's a very specific Microsoft problem. Someone suggested using
a Windows API function to make the query but you would have to wrap that
in some code to use it. It's really not an NTP issue. I all those
systems were running NTP then it's a straightforward query.

Danny