[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd -x

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jan 26 22:03:02 UTC 2006

>>> In article <20060126185944.3920.qmail at web34107.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, joelshellman at yahoo.com (Joel Shellman) writes:

Joel> ...  However, the most important requirement is to have a sequential
Joel> clock so that timestamps on audit logs are sequential.

ntpd will write utmp logs and syslog entries whenever the time is stepped,
and this should help mightily with the audit logs.

I can see the need for the logging daemon to note time steps in all logging
streams; that requirement is probably beyond the scope of ntpd.  Having said
that, when the ntp.conf file is rewritten it will probably be possible to
have ntpd support multiple logging streams.

The biggest reason time cannot be stepped backwards is usually database
daemons.  I suspect it would be useful to discuss this situation separately.