[ntp:questions] Re: PPS working or not? FreeBSD 5.4

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jan 29 20:33:44 UTC 2006

>>> In article <LY8Df.11489$wl.11104 at text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> writes:

John> 5) [Make sure] you have "options PPS_SYNC" in your kernel config

David> 5 - I have not done that explicity.  How could I check that, and
David> change it if required?  It's been 10+ years since I ran UNIX.

Assuming an x86 box, put the following in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PPS:

#
# PPS -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386 PPS
#

include GENERIC

ident		PPS-GENERIC

options 	PPS_SYNC

and then add the following line to /etc/make.conf:

KERNCONF=    PPS GENERIC

(Assuming you want "cd /usr/src && make buildkernel installkernel) to build
both kernels and only install the PPS kernel).

I also add the lines:

link	cuaa1	refclock-0
link    cuaa1   pps0

to the end of /etc/devfs.conf, and *sometimes* it looks like those links are
not created soon enough in the boot sequence, but it's sporadic and I have
not had time to chase it down yet.