[ntp:questions] Re: Meanings of states from ntpq -c rv

Joel Shellman joelshellman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 14:57:49 UTC 2006

Thank you for the information. There's a lot of
information there but I could not find what exactly
what the "state" variable means from the output of
ntpq -c rv.

The only candidate information I could find might be
peer status from RFC-1305 B.2.2. However, if that does
correspond to the state, then it still doesn't give me
the information I need. Especially what the difference
between 2, 3, 4 mean. 4 is just listed as "reserved"
and nothing else there. But ntpd does differentiate
between 3 and 4 and I need to know if that's
significant in our application.

Thanks,

Joel Shellman