[ntp:questions] Do we need / should be have a refclock?

Robert Hulme robert.hulme at ahc.uk.com
Thu Jul 6 09:09:55 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm fairly new to NTP (although I have read a lot of the documentation
on the site and in the wiki) and I'm trying to get some expert advice to
help with an internal IT discussion occurring in the IT team at my
company.

We have about 20-30 linux servers collocated (on two sites - 95% of them
on one site) and about 30 windows desktops at a different site. The new
Linux sysadmin has noticed that the NTP client configuration on the
servers is fairly random (they seem to use various random UK ISP's NTP
servers (only one NTP server configured for each box)). Clearly that
needs sorting out - but in the course of the discussion there was a
debate about whether we ought to get a refclock.

Could you give some advice on how we should be thinking about this, what
we should consider, and what the pros and cons of using a refclock are.

For reference we basically do web hosting for our clients on these
servers - some run databases and so on but there is nothing particularly
unusual that the servers do.

If you think a refclock is a good idea or an important thing to have the
one that has been suggested is this one
http://www.atomic-clock.galleon.eu.com/Atomic-Clock-Time-Server/Atomic-C
lock-Time-Server.htm

If on the other hand there is a simple place I can RTFM then please
point me to it :-)

Robert Hulme
Technical Consultant
Anthony Hodges Consulting Limited