[ntp:questions] Re: system boots with wrong time

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 13 09:03:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

sbalaji79 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a tru64 machine which always boots with wrong time(time is
> always in future ie. 2007 or above).   After booting, ntp starts and
> syncs time properly with the server and time is back to normal. Once
> i reboot problem appears again. Is this a problem with a TOY chip or do
> we
> need to explicity set the time to TOY chip.  I believe ntp calls
> settimeofday
> which syncs the time to TOY chip.   But i donot see any errors
> in the log file with respect to TOY chip battery failure.

I'm pretty sure the machine's hardware clock (RTC) has the wrong date. At
boot time the operating system time is initialized with that time.

I don't know tru64, but settimeofday must not necessarily set the machine's
RTC. For example under linux there's a special command which writes the
time of the software clock to the RTC. Sometimes this is called
periodically every few minutes, and im most cases it is run when the system
shuts down.

You must check which command tru64 provides to do so.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren