[ntp:questions] Re: NTP on IPv6

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Mon Jul 24 06:32:19 UTC 2006

Hi, Christophe:

cvolpe at hotmail.com schrieb:
> Can anyone tell me if NTP has ever been shown to be running over IPv6
> in a public demonstration, such as in an industry group test or a trade
> show demo? Also, do the Feds mandate that government networks use NTP?
> Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the world.
>
> Christophe

We sell NTP time servers with IPv6 support since two years now (see
http://www.meinberg.de/english/news/news_040501_001.htm) and they are
using the reference implementation of NTPv4 from Dave Mills / University
of Delaware since then.

Quite a number of our customers use them in an IPv6 environment, so I
can safely confirm that NTPv4 over IPv6 has been demonstrated and tested
numerous times.

Regarding the second part of your question: AFAIK the Feds ask for IPv6
support for all new systems they purchase, but I do not know if they
require their users to go for NTP when it comes to network time
synchronization.

Best regards,
Heiko

MEINBERG Radio Clocks
www.meinberg.de

IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.