[ntp:questions] Re: Unstable Windows system clock when running 3rd party software component

Geir G geir.guldstein at start.no
Sun Jun 4 17:33:56 UTC 2006

Thanks for your responses.

It is correct that I "lose" time when the OPC server is running.

I have now tested the Meinberg NTP distribution. The result is
unchanged from 4.2.0.

OPC is a set of standard software interfaces used in industrial
automation applications. In our system we use the Microsoft COM-based
OPC Data Access 2.0 and Alarm&Events 1.0 interfaces. For more OPC
information: http://www.opcfoundation.org/. It is worth mentioning that
the unstable clock problem occurs even when I run the OPC server
standalone, i.e. with no OPC client connected and without the OPC
server's underlying data source devices (PLCs) connected.

Also worth mentioning is that the embedded computer does not exhibit
high CPU load, the CPU load is 3-5% when NTP and the OPC server is
running.

I will contact the OPC server vendor. I am of course still interested
in further hints and tips.

Geir