[ntp:questions] Re: Box not synchronizing

mooron at mooron.com mooron at mooron.com
Tue Jun 6 19:55:49 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> JCA wrote:
> >   I have three Linux boxes, namely, A, B, and C, in my LAN. I use C
> > as the NTP server for my LAN. C, in turn, gets its synchronization
> > from some external NTP server.
> >
> >  Both A and B use the same (very simple) ntp.conf configuration file:
> >
> > server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> > fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
> > server  192.168.0.1    # IP address of C in my LAN
> > driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> > multicastclient                 # listen on default 224.0.1.1
> > broadcastdelay  0.008
> >
> >   The problem is that while A gets its synchronization from C all
> > right, B does not. In A, the ouput from
>
> I'd simplify that config file:
> server  192.168.0.1    # IP address of C in my LAN
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
>
> If that doesn't work, come back and complain!
>
> If it does work (and it should), add the rest back, one statement at a
> time, until it breaks.

This is what I consider a minimal NTP.CONF:

server x.x.x.x maxpoll 6
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
enable auth

The "maxpoll 6" forces ntpd to update every 64 seconds.
"enable auth" prevents unauthorized people/systems
from messing with your system over the network.

That simple configuration is all you really need in almost
all cases.

- Mooron