[ntp:questions] Standards for time sync via sntp/ntp

Alexander Kugel alexkugel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 10:00:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I can recall that whenever SNTP client discovers that there is a time
slip between the element and a time server, it adjusts the system clock
acording to the following algorithm:

1. if dT <= 3  seconds - no clock update
2. if 3 < dT <= 10 seconds - update gradually (by 1 sec per minute)
3. if 10 <= dT, update the system clock immediately
where the "dT" is the time difference between the system clock and the
time server.

Unfortunately I can not find any conofrmation of this behavior in any
standards I've checked (rfc 2030, NTP documentation, etc.).

Is this behavior standard/recommended? If yes, what are the standards
that describe it in more details?

Thank you,
Alexander Kugel