[ntp:questions] Re: Help with NTP setup

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Mon Jun 12 16:27:44 UTC 2006

>I would choose to find out why the on-site server "goes a bit askew".
>  Machines running Linux or Windows have been known to lose clock
>interrupts when busy.  If your stratum two server is always slow when
>it's off and "steps ahead" and is running Linux or Windows that is
>probably the cause of your problem.

Another likely place for that sort of skew is network load.

NTPntpd assumes the network links have symmetric delays.  That
doesn't work if you have a lot more traffic in one direction
or the other.

It might be interesting to compare when the clock hops to another
server with a graph of the network load.