[ntp:questions] Re: Fedora Core 5 NTP won't synchronize -- condition reject

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 16:49:12 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Since Hawaii has a grand total of one NTP server and that server is
> "restricted access", you don't have any really good choices.

When I am unable to find good pool.ntp.org or otherwise publicly listed
time servers near one of our offices, I usually look to the local
university. They are usually happy to provide NTP service to their
neighbors (especially if they're state-funded schools).

There's servers available at hostnames "ntp2.hawaii.edu",
"ntp3.hawaii.edu", and "ntp4.hawaii.edu", but I'm not sure what the
access policy is (no references to those host names are found via
Google or searches of UH websites).

Do *not* use "ntp.hawaii.edu" or "ntp1.hawaii.edu", as I believe those
are aliases for the same stratum-1 time server. You don't need
stratum-1 time for a home network.

Dan, you might want to email the UH ITS group at help at hawaii.edu to see
if accessing their stratum-2s is allowed.

As others have mentioned, server selection is probably not going to fix
your issue, but if you want to avoid sending traffic to the mainland
for NTP, the UH servers might be an option.