[ntp:questions] Re: Problem setting up ntp server

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Thu Jun 22 20:09:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:04:08 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Are you saying that you have a server running using the above
> configuration and that clients are not able to access it?

Yes.

> The first thing to do is to remove or comment out ALL restrict
> statements.  If that makes it work, put them back, one at a time until
> you find the one that breaks it.
>
> Show us the output of ntpq -p for your server.
>
> Tell us how you know that port 123 is not available.
>
> Remove the "fudge" statement or add the accompanying server statement:
> server 127.127.1.0
> My choice would be to remove the fudge statement and not to add the
> server statement.  You can think about serving your undisciplined local
> clock after you get the rest of it working.
>
> Remove the broadcast delay statement.  You are neither broadcasting nor
> receiving broadcasts!

Well, removing everything but the server lines, driftfile, and keys
worked.  I got my above example form one of several "Here's a basic
working config" examples :-)

> My Solaris systems don't have a /var/lib.  You didn't say what you are
> using but if it doesn't have a /var/lib ntpd might have a problem
> putting a drift file there.  (I don't see why anybody would have a
> /var/lib; my understanding is that /var is for things like log files,
> spool files, mail files....  if "lib" means library /var seems like a
> strange place for one.)

You'd have to ask Red Hat. :-)

> # --- OUR TIMESERVERS -----
> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server time.nist.gov
>
> # --- GENERAL CONFIGURATION ---
>
> # Drift file.
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
> broadcastdelay  0.008
>
> # Keys file.
> keys /etc/ntp/keys
>
> # Log file
> logfile /var/ntp/ntp.log

That's pretty much what I have now! :-)

Now, on the other machines, if I write an ntpd.conf that says:

server my.ntp.server

and start ntpd, that's all I need?  I'm behind a firewall, so I'm not
too worried about people setting their time from me or anything like
that.

--
* John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *