[ntp:questions] Re: Multicasting on client/host side

wa6zvp wa6zvp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 03:34:41 UTC 2006

April wrote:
> Trying to understand multicasting from the client/host perspective ..
>
> What client software is needed?
> What configurations are required?
> Is there web based client, and any configuraton required?
> How a client start using a typical multicast service?
> How does a client/host works behind the scene to get multicast service,
> in conjunction with what have been set up on the router and switch?
>
> Any good reference on this, I mean from client/host perspective, or
> something that provide the"whole" picture, including protocol, router,
> switch, and client/host?

* April,
 Just because the Network Time Protocol has multicast capabilities, it
certainly does not mean this is an appropriate place to ask general
questions about the multicast protocols and how it all works.  I
suggest a good search engine as a start.  There are likely thousands of
references.  Cisco.com might be good starting point.

That said, I will add that the magic in multicast is really the routers
and switches that make up a specific network between services and
clients.  Clients "request" that
the network send them the service.  Now you're on your own, run with
it.

  Roger, Harvey Mudd College

Note: Multicast via global or even domestic WANs of commodity internet
is pretty much non-existant.