[ntp:questions] Re: Can sychronize with a slightyly different NTP versios

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 20:40:49 UTC 2006

DavidO wrote:

> Hi:
> -ntpq -p display from server unit (version 4.1):
>
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
> *LOCAL(0)        LOCAL(0)         5 l   12   64  377    0.000    0.000
>  0.004
>
> - /etc/ntp.conf from the server unit (version 4.1):
>
> server 127.127.1.0  burst iburst
> authenticate no

Try:
server 127.127.1.0              # Local clock, unit 0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

I believe that what's happening is that without the "fudge" statement,
the client sees the server as "stratum 16" which means "unsynchronized"
(which it is).  An ntp client will not use an unsynchronized server.
Please don't use a value lower than ten for stratum in the fudge
statement; if you ever do connect to the internet you don't want to be
serving incorrect time to an unsuspecting world!!

It would probably be a lot easier and consume far fewer resources to use
  rdate in a cron job.