[ntp:questions] 4.2.1-RC1 on FreeBSD 4.11 doesn't seem to discipline the local clock

Joshua Coombs jcoombs at gwi.net
Wed Mar 8 04:43:41 UTC 2006

I've got a Soekris 4501 (three actually) running FreeBSD 4.11.  I just
added a modem to pickup ACTS with, and discovered that ntp in base
FreeBSD isn't compiled with it as a valid refclock?  So, I pulled down
the 4.2.1 release candidate, configured with just --enable-acts, and
gave it a shot.  The clock just slowly drifted away from it's peers
and ACTS.  Up to this point, using base ntpd from FreeBSD and multiple
internet sources (and it's 3 local peers I maintain) it has stayed
within 10ms, I cut the cord when it drifted out past 150ms this
evening.

Should I be using additional configure arguments on FreeBSD 4.11?

Joshua Coombs