[ntp:questions] Re: NTP 4.2.1-RC1 is available for testing

Wed Mar 8 13:00:01 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> writes:

> Just so folks know, when we make a release it will not be timestamped
> in the release area and an identical file with a timestamped name will
> be auto-generated in the snapshot area.

Not wanting to have the final word, but: What about adding a "-release" tag to
releases (like "ntp-X.y.Z-release.tar.gz"), and adding a "-pre" (pre-release)
tag for pre-releases? Pre-Releases could either have another level of count
(".1", ".2", ...) appended, or a timestamp (ntp-X.y.Z-pre-#########.tar.gz).

Assuming that a pre-release (release candidate) always preceeds a release,
what about renaming the final candidate from snapshot to release, thus
avoiding to have two different filenames with same content?

If FTP could handle symbolic links, I'd suggest to use the MD5 (or SHA)
checksum for file names, and add a descriptive name via link:
ntp-X.y.Z-release       -> 63248263424234.tar.gz
ntp-X.y.Z-pre-######### -> 63248263424234.tar.gz

(However most FTP mirror scripts will end up transferring the same file three
times then)

Regards,
Ulrich