[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 28 14:06:04 UTC 2006

Ronan Flood wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:
>
>> OK, so y'all want there to be an RC release that is identical to the
>> released version?
>
> Seems sensible to me, but I know nothing about release engineering :-/
> How does ISC do it for BIND?  It has RCs.
> Is there a difference between an RC and a beta?

ISC does BIND releases differently as I think you know. It also has paid
and dedicated development and support which we don't right now. We
automatically generate tarballs whenever the repository is updated.
Release engineering is a rather complicated process. Having been
involved in both BIND and NTP as well as running a release engineering
group, it's rather something best left to the release engineer.

Danny