[ntp:questions] Re: 4.2.1-RC

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Mar 28 23:13:20 UTC 2006

>>> In article <e0bhoj$31c$1 at canard.ulcc.ac.uk>, Ronan Flood <ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk> writes:

>> I guess it depends on whether or not folks only grab the first RCx
>> tarball or if they grab the subsequent snapshot tarballs as well.

Ronan> That's what I was thinking: an announced RC is more of a firm
Ronan> milestone for people to look at rather than the latest snapshot, and
Ronan> then the next latest snapshot etc as things get fixed/twiddled.

I hear you, and the size of NTP is much smaller than, say, an OS release.

Also, the number of (and size of) changes we are making at this stage is
pretty small.

If a "significant" number of changes happens, I'll bump the number.

In the future, I'm contemplating using a datestamp for the "point release",
which will make this more obvious.

I'd really appreciate discussion on the "how do we number relases" thing -
there are pros/cons to all of them.

 https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Dev/ReleaseVersionNumbers

is where I'm tracking the ideas.