[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Server Config Help w/ bc635PCI

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed May 17 22:18:41 UTC 2006

In article <1147813777.212270.266060 at j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"DiyahD" <hadiyah.m.daniels at lmco.com> wrote:

> NTPv3

This is obsolete, and if there is anything wrong with it, the only
possible advice is to replace it with the current version of the
V4 server.

> When running ntpq -p I periodically see the reference clock select for
> synchronization (denoted with *). However, this quickly drops and then
> no device is selected for synchroniztion (denoted with a space). Does
> anyone have any helpful ideas???

Regular periodic loss indicates either a static frequency error that
is beyond the end stop (500ppm for V4, but less on some ports of V3),
or something else is competing to discipline the local clock.  On SunOS
4, the out of the box configuration did this.