[ntp:questions] NTPD sync now

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Fri Nov 3 09:01:38 UTC 2006

David Woolley wrote:
> In article <3ltp14-tse.ln1 at robert.houseofmax.de>,
> Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>what irks me is that ntp allways creates extra slots in between.
>

> That's a problem with your demand dial software.  You should use software
> that you can configure to transmit NTP when the link is up but not bring
> it up for NTP, nor keep it up for NTP.  (Good demand dial software will
> also do things like varying the timeout depending on the type of packet
> and whether there are open TCP connections.)
I am  well aware what i can do with proper software be it router, dialer,
firewall or whatnot.
But your idea proposes a trail of blood and splatter all the way to
the next server.

In my case i would even be able to manhandle the guy who has to maintain
this cisco router box to accomodate me. But it is extra effort that
entails the requirement for further maintainance at places where influence
or contact may be low.

Actually something like that reqularly evolves into a nightmare.
There is  a recurring problem with requirering the mountain come to the prophet ;-)

The internet has changed to a mobile and not permanently connected world.
The times of wellkept expensive boxes in a static configuration are long gone.

To have better control on ntpd connection behaviour would be a boon and
imho enable some very interesting apps using it.

uwe