[ntp:questions] USNO Clock Fast?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 20:56:37 UTC 2006

Daniel Norton wrote:

> Why does USNO show several seconds faster than time.gov (and other
> references)?

It is not, now, off by "several seconds".  I'm inclined to doubt that it
ever was!   I think you are misinterpreting something.  Perhaps you are
reading milliseconds as seconds?

 From here, tick.usno.navy.mil is within 898 microseconds of my own
stratum 1 (GPS reference clock) server which is amazingly good.  Usually
internet servers are off by anywhere from two to ten milliseconds!  Note
that the servers themselves are within a few microseconds or even a few
nanoseconds of the correct time but asymmetric network delays usually
introduce an offset of several milliseconds.

FWIW, the "offset" in the ntpq -p banner is in milliseconds!