[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.2p4 loopstats

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Nov 14 04:19:31 UTC 2006

Harlan,

If there are volunteers with spare cycles, I would much rather they spin
on the new code now covered in dust.

What you are suggesting is not a trivial project and I've been there
myself. See the (broken) scripts in ./scripts/stats. See also the
systats monitor data, which is intended for managers like NIST and USNO.

You should know that, in the early days of the Internet, DARPA tasked
BBN to write an AI program that watched ARPAnet for breaks and squalls.
They spent a lot of money on it, but came away with the conclusion the
best I to do that had ears and eyes, a nose and a network map
surrounding the entire room overlayed with transparent plastic and crayons.

Dave