[ntp:questions] iburst

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Mon Nov 27 02:14:46 UTC 2006

>It doesn't require reboots - just shutting down daily when I am not
>using the machine.

That's a slightly(?) ugly case for keeping time.

The problem is that the frequency of the crystal is strongly(?)
temperature dependent.  If you run the machine for a while
it warms up and gets the drift file setup for that temperture.
When you turn it off, it cools down.  When you reboot it, the drift
file is slightly(?) misleading.

How much do you care about how accurate your clock is?
Are you a geek trying to push the envelope, or just a
normal user trying to keep a reasonable clock?  (I'd
call within 1 second reasonable for email and log files.)