[ntp:questions] iburst

terrypearl fxaxsxtxsxnxixpx-xbxcxaxrxdx at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 13:28:40 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
>> It doesn't require reboots - just shutting down daily when I am not
>> using the machine.
>
> That's a slightly(?) ugly case for keeping time.
>
> The problem is that the frequency of the crystal is strongly(?)
> temperature dependent.  If you run the machine for a while
> it warms up and gets the drift file setup for that temperture.
> When you turn it off, it cools down.  When you reboot it, the drift
> file is slightly(?) misleading.
>
> How much do you care about how accurate your clock is?

Just a normal user trying to keep a somewhat accurate clock. If left
alone, the h/w clock can drift as much as 5 minutes in 6 months. I'm
just trying to keep it a little more accurate than the wall clock
running off the frequency of the local power grid.

I finally learned about ntpd about a week ago. It had been set to run by
the FC 5 installation. But the firewall prevented synch. When I finally
got that worked out, my boot time went from about 1 minute to many
minutes. In watching the boot messages, I discovered that ntpd was the
culprit. It takes ntpd several minutes to synch during boot. Was simply
trying to get that synch time down to something under 1 minute. During
the time I was trying to get ntpd through the firewall, someone on this
newsgroup mentioned using iburst to get the synch time from minutes to
seconds. Guess they had that wrong or we used different definitions of
synch.

So I guess if I want to use ntpd, I will have to live with the mnay
minute boot time??

Terry

> Are you a geek trying to push the envelope, or just a
> normal user trying to keep a reasonable clock?  (I'd
> call within 1 second reasonable for email and log files.)

If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
   Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
   US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
   Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759