[ntp:questions] frequency of updation

Dennis Hilberg Jr dhilberg at comcast.net
Wed Nov 29 18:29:54 UTC 2006

"lulu" <neoequal at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1164801470.404384.20580 at j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Is this decision of changing the interval dynamically done by any
> algorithm
> present in rfc related to NTP.
>
> Can't the user interfere in changing the time  interval in which a
> NTP-client sends or recieve packets
>
> And how of sure u are saying it  will never overload the CPU. Because
> sending a packet every minute can make a system overloaded at times
> also if  it is side by side working on
> any resource hunting process. So what i mean to askcan't a user control
> th packaet sending and recieving interval manually.

lulu, if it's any help, my Stratum 2 pool.ntp.org server is a Linux system
running on an Athlon XP 2400+ processor.  It suffers no noticable load under
normal conditions, which is about 1500 clients, but even when the server
shows up in the NTP pool DNS, pushing client levels very high (I've seen it
as high as 9731 clients), the load was minimal, all according to Wayne
Schlitt's scripts.  Network traffic is really not that much either, ~5 or 6
KB/sec under very high client levels if I remember correctly.

Dennis