[ntp:questions] Suitable ntp.conf for public NTP server?

Dennis Hilberg Jr dhilberg at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 16:41:10 UTC 2006

Hello.

I am new to ntpd, and have a question regarding the ntp.conf.

First of all, here is my ntp.conf:

restrict 127.0.0.1

server bigben.cac.washington.edu iburst
server time-nw.nist.gov iburst
server usno.pa-x.dec.com iburst
server nist1.aol-ca.truetime.com iburst
server clepsydra.dec.com iburst

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

Is this an acceptable ntp.conf for running a public ntp server?  I'm
considering submitting my server to the pool, but only if I know it's
relatively secure.  I'm having a hard time finding ntp.conf examples for
public ntp servers with descriptions of each setting.  I've followed
whatever advice I've found: no more than five servers, no local server, etc.
I use my ntp server for syncing time on my local network, and it works
great.

Basically, do I need any other security settings to run a secure
(relatively) public ntp server?  Or am I good to go to open up the firewall?

Thanks for any assistance!

Dennis