[ntp:questions] Re: uk pool problem

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sun Sep 3 20:14:33 UTC 2006

In article <ywn9r6ythfgj.fsf at ntp1.isc.org> Harlan Stenn
<stenn at ntp.isc.org> writes:

>The last time I checked, both ntpdate and sntp will believe the first answer
>they get back.  I bet this is not *strictly* true, but I recall it was
>good enough.

Well, either you never checked ntpdate, or you have forgotten what you
found - the first paragraph of the "Description" section in the html-man
page says what it does (it was already quoted in this thread btw), and
it's a long shot from "believe the first answer" - ntpdate never did
that.

Sntp on the other hand does indeed seem to do just that, which makes it
basically useless in my opinion. And if you give it multiple servers to
query, where the first one happens not to respond, it will stupidly keep
on trying it 5 times and then give up, without ever attempting the
others - worse than useless. (This was tested with 4.2.2p4-RC2.)

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org