[ntp:questions] Re: "Listen on" semantics

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung_removeme_ at meinberg.de
Mon Sep 25 08:55:54 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer schrieb:
> Heiko Gerstung wrote:
>> Luc Pardon schrieb:
>>> [... very interesting but long security discussion ...]
>>>

>>>     It certainly would make _me_ happy. What I miss in OpenNTPD is not
>>> so much the reduced precision as the lack of ntpq.
>> Sorry for eating all the quoted text, but I only wanted to ask you why
>> there is no such thing as ntpq for OpenNTPD?
>>
>> Where do you think would the "server" part get all the information that
>> ntpq shows to you?
>>

> ntpq use mode 6 packets and not mode 3 packets to get its information.
> OpenNTPD would have to support mode 6 packets AND what it needs to
> return in order to return any information.

I know :-) That was a rhetoric question with which I wanted to point out
that there is a good point in combining client and server functionality
in ntpd and that you would simply loose all the nice debugging and
status information that ntpq offers you when you use an OpenNTP server
and a client part "only" used for synchronizing the local clock.

Heiko