[ntp:questions] ipv6 support on linux - bind problem

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200704 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 04:50:33 UTC 2007

mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny Mayer) writes:
> If this true then it's a bug in the IP stack of the O/S and should get
> fixed.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I wasted quite a bit of time tracking this
problem down in one of my programs that ran perfectly under BSD for
the last 10 years.  It is also the worst kind of bug to chase -- the
kind where one's mental model doesn't match up with what the low-level
machinery is doing.

> You should get your O/S vendor to address the problem.

I can try, but my batting average with such policy-issue type requests
is very low.

> I will try one thing and try and bind the IPv6 wildcard address (::)
> first and then the IPv4 address (0.0.0.0) but I don't know if that
> will really make a difference if this is badly architected by the
> O/S.

That might be a good way to deal with the issue, especially since one
can't be totally sure if the mapping has been turned off via the
sysctl that Maurice mentioned.  (Thanks Maurice!  I didn't realize it
was available, but as you pointed out, flipping it may well result in
other programs losing their v4 mapping.)

-wolfgang