[ntp:questions] ntpd communicating with server, but reports ``no reply''.

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Wed Apr 11 18:46:28 UTC 2007

>>> In article <1176313420.726980.122160 at q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, "Kaz Kylheku" <kkylheku at gmail.com> writes:

Kaz> I'm trying to set the time on a Linux system (x86 vmware virtual
Kaz> machine). I'm running ``ntpd -dddddddd -g -q''.

There may be a vmware issue - I do not know.

I thought that one had to "do something" to get ntpd to work under a vmware
instance - otherwise the clock was something the "primary" OS instance
handled.

I may be confused on this point.

Kaz> The /etc/ntp.conf file is just this. I took out all restricts:

Kaz> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift

Kaz> broadcastdelay 0.008
Kaz> authenticate yes

You don't need either of the above 2 lines.

Kaz> keys /etc/ntp/keys

You may or may not need the above line.

Kaz> server 10.18.28.4 iburst burst

Are you *sure* you want to use burst?

What is the output of 'ntpq -p 10.18.28.4' ?