[ntp:questions] NTP is working fine but time difference doesn't decrease.

kaleem177 at gmail.com kaleem177 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:30:32 UTC 2007

Hello,

We have a machine which is running NTP version 4 and it's in sync with
its time server (a '*' appears in the output of ntpq -p; as we know
the server marked * is the one which is chosen for synchronization).
Now the problem
is that even if the machine is synchronizing with its time server all
the time, the time difference between the two doesn't decrease. The
difference is around 2 min and it's been like this for one month or
so. I expect the machines to be within a few seconds of each other.

The only reason I can think of is that the clock crystal is behaving
wildly.

Please let me know what you think. Also, please let me know what can I
do
to debug this problem. Thank you. Kind regards.