[ntp:questions] Local clock question with dialup connection

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Apr 19 16:16:22 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007 05:12, Danny Mayer wrote:

> > Nigel> djmons at localhost djmons]$ /usr/sbin/ntpq
> > ntpq> pe
> > Nigel> localhost.localdomain: timed out, nothing received ***Request
> > timed Nigel> out
> >
> > This looks like ntpd is not running at the time you did this.
>
> No, you would not get Request timed out, you would get connection
> refused. It may be that the server is just dropping your queries.
>
> Danny

FC5 isn't giving me this problem using 4.2.4p0-1.fc6. I do have the 2 local
clock lines (server, and fudge) uncommented, and when I boot the machine with
no Internet connection, then after connecting to the Internet (dialup) , I
run ntpq> pe, it shows local as a system peer, and 3 servers from
fedora.pool.ntp.org dynamic. It does take ages before one of the servers is
set as system peer, but it's working.

On FC2 using 4.2.0-7, I am using 3 specific stratum2 servers, rather than a
pool. Could it be that because I only have 3 specific servers, that they are
being tried once while there is no initial Internet connection on bootup, are
failing to be found, and ntpd is not trying them again.  I presume a server
pool has many available servers, so if I have a server pool in /etc/ntp.conf,
does ntpd just keep on trying to get a response in this case, like it tries
the pool, doesn't get a response, tries again, no response, tries again, and
so on, by which time I have made the Internet connection, and it's still
trying to find a pool server, and now with an active Internet connection it
gets a response, and sets up 3 available Internet servers?

As I'm having problems installing 4.2.4p0 from the tarball on FC2, I think
I'll try reinstalling 4.2.0-7, put a server pool in /etc/ntp.conf, and see
just for hell of it, if it works.

All in a days work.

Nigel.