[ntp:questions] Local clock question with dialup connection

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Apr 19 19:32:16 UTC 2007

>It looks like I need to delay ntpd being started at bootup, or at least delay
>the polling of the servers. I see there is a script for this in the 4.2.4p0
>version, but can't see such a workaround on a rpm installed version as the
>4.2.0-7 version is on FC2.

>Someway or other this is going to be fixed.

I'd try the new "dynamic" version.

I think your problem was that the installation recipe didn't
include the startup dance and you didn't know enough about
that area to fake it.

I'm not a wizard in this area.  Here is (roughly) what I would try:

Look at and/or make a copy of your current startup script.
Mine is in:
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntpd
You also want to check:
  /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
There will also be a bunch of links from things like
  /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K74ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K74ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K74ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S26ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S26ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S26ntpd
  /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K74ntpd

Those are links back to the first file.  They are shell scripts
used by the startup dance when changing runlevels.  "K" is for
kill, and "S" is for start.  The number is the order to process
them in.  man chkconfig should help you understand this area.
Check the SEE ALSO section for more info.

Where is your old/normal ntpd?  It's probably in /usr/sbin/ntpd
Where does the new version get installed?  It's probably
in /usr/local/bin/ntpd

There are several places where you can make a simple
edit to switch to the new version.
The first is in:
   /etc/sysconfig/ntpd
Set the search path to find the new version first.
You need something like:
  export PATH="/usr/local/bin/:$PATH"
(I'm not a shell hacker.  That could easily be wrong.)

The second is to edit
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/ntp
It has this line:
  prog="ntpd"
Change that to point to where the installer puts your new version.

Or rather than doing a make install, kludge it by hand
  cp -p /usr/sbin/ntpd /usr/sbin/ntpd-old
  mv <wherever>/ntpd/ntpd  /usr/sbin/ntpd

I'd leave the old ntp.conf alone until you get the new
version of ntpd working.  Then add the dynamic lines.
(That leaves you with less work to undo if you want to back out.)
You can see the version string in /var/log/messages at startup time.

  /sbin/service ntpd restart
is a handy way to restart ntpd.