[ntp:questions] stability and -x option

Carlos Rivera crivera at visual-tools.com
Mon Aug 13 13:54:06 UTC 2007

Hello,
    Does anybody know if preseeding a drift file with, say 0 value,
can alter the clock stability in any way? Shouldn't clock stability be
simply a function of the hardware and kernel tick?  You may ask why
I have to preseed a drift file, well I can not have ntpd to step
back the time since my application will crash if time goes backwards.
Even if I use the -x option when I start ntpd without a drift file
it will step the time until it calculates the drift and enters
the normal operation mode. What I encounter is for some reason high
stability numbers which not only go down but increase.

Thanks in advance,

--
Carlos Rivera Cordero
Proyectos Especiales