[ntp:questions] drift file set to -500

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sat Dec 1 07:21:45 UTC 2007

>>> In article <179636c7-4680-4369-870c-bc3f01c1800b at e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Aggie <c.kevin.lam at gmail.com> writes:

Aggie> Harlan, I changed hz to 100 and ran it overnight yesterday. It seemed
Aggie> like it had affect on the drift file problem, because normally the
Aggie> drift file would have already been created after 10 hrs, and
Aggie> complained about 500 value in the drift file. But now the drift file
Aggie> still has not been created yet, and I haven't seen any complain.

Kevin,

The drift file should be created within an hour.

If it is not, it means your ntpd has not sync'd, as with recent -dev
releases the drift file will not be written if the clock is not sync'd.

What does 'ntpq -p' show?

http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!