[ntp:questions] Configuring FreeBSD 6.2 for use with Garmin GPS 18 LVC

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Thu Dec 20 17:16:35 UTC 2007

>One possibility may be that the GBS18 has switched to "Garmin" mode
>instead of NMEA mode.

That seems unlikely.  You have to send it a sensible command.
Garbage on the line is not likely to do that.

On the other hand, maybe he ran some software that knows
about Garmin GPS units...

My GPS18 occasionally stops working.  Usually it recovers by
itself in an hour or so.  I assume it ran out of satellites
and got confused trying to lock up again and eventually did
get locked up right.

I've also seen it get stuck long enough so that I power cycled it.
That fixed it.