[ntp:questions] time delta between clients

Tom Smith smith at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 23 02:42:08 UTC 2007

Per Hedeland wrote:
> In article <476B3C9C.8090607 at ntp.isc.org> mayer at ntp.isc.org (Danny
> Mayer) writes:
>> Per Hedeland wrote:

>>> Hm, if you were a newbie here, I'd assume that you simply don't know
>>> what you're talking about, but since you aren't, I must be
>>> misunderstanding you as you appear to be saying that two Unix hosts with
>>> the traditional 100 Hz clock (on the same LAN) couldn't achieve a skew
>>> consistently below 20 ms - while (at least) sub-millisecond offsets in
>>> such setups are commonplace and discussed here every other day.
>>> Apparently not even Windows has the kind of problem you suggest anymore.
>>>
>> While Rick may be a relative newbie to NTP he has had years of
>> conducting performance analysis of applications and systems. His
>> performance testing of BIND9 is probably *the* seminal reference on DNS
>> testing.
>
> Uh, your point being? I'm sure your description is correct even though I
> have no knowledge of that subject (which doesn't seem to be relevant
> here), and I specifically said that I *didn't* consider Rick a newbie to
> NTP - based on the very limited knowledge of *that* subject that I have,
> namely past postings in this forum. Which is why I found his statement
> surprising, and assumed that I must be misunderstanding it. Are you
> saying that you agree with that statement? Or maybe you can explain how
> I'm misunderstanding it?
>
> --Per Hedeland
> per at hedeland.org

Well, lets see if we can reduce the confusion a little. ;-)

Rick (Jones) is the author of netperf. He deals with quite a large number
of platforms, releases of those platforms, and combinations thereof.
Tom (Smith) happens to work for the same company as Rick, also deals
with quite a large number of platforms, releases, combinations, and with
customers with large heterogeneous and problematic NTP networks, among
other things.

Per's question was to Tom's comment, not Rick's, and Tom's comment was to Rick,
not Per. I imagine Rick may be just sitting on the sidelines scratching his head at
this point wondering what he did wrong.

-Tom