[ntp:questions] Apple Mac mini instabiliy

Dmitry Ivanov dimss at telecentrs.lv
Thu Feb 1 09:59:48 UTC 2007

On 1 Feb 2007, at 00:52, Nero Imhard wrote:

> Dmitry Ivanov wrote:
>
>> OK, I have created my own ntp.conf and restarted "Network Time"
>> service.
>
> Perhaps I'm asking the obvious, but does ntp.conf still contain
> what you
> put into it? OSX tends to recreate the file according to its own ideas
> each time you access the the time dialog.

I have created my own /etc/ntp-my.conf and changed startup script /
System/Library/StartupItems/NetworkTime/NetworkTime to use this file.
BTW Apple uses /var/run/ntp.drift file to store drift value. This is
stupid because contents of /var/run is lost after reboot. I've
changed this to /etc/ntp.drift.

I am mostly disappointed by Mac. (Almost) perfect visual design, lack
of engineering. Misunderstanding of NTP is very clear but not the
only example of this.

> I was forced to make the file immutable in order to make sure ntp kept
> doing what I wanted. Perhaps there are more reasonable ways but I
> haven't found any.

Thank you for this advice! Looks like this is the best possible way.

Could all this information be added to FAQ?..