[ntp:questions] Basic Question - how to verify whether a new NTP server is ready to serve time?

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Sat Feb 3 21:19:31 UTC 2007

Steve Kostecke wrote:
> On 2007-02-03, Uwe Klein <uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>David Woolley wrote:
>>
>>>In article <1170482365.594728.320910 at v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
>>>
>>>Make sure that you aren't really running ntpd as some vendors have
>>>a weird idea that misnaming ntpd confuses people less; it certainly
>>
>>This happened by way of LSB (http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB)
>>Linux Standard Base requirements which mandated a package of name
>>"*xntp*" is installed in contrast to older software by name of "*ntp*".
>

> Please provide a link to the LSB requirements which mandate this name
> change. If you can't you're spreading mis-information.
I am no priest, thus i can't spread misinformation, only what i remember
of that item.

the LSB 1.2 mentions xntp, i could not find the LSB files that enumerate
required packages.

at the time of release of SuSE 7.? ( can't remember ) this was explicitly
stated by the release team in the accompanying README.
I would have to do real archeology to unearth my media of that time.

uwe