[ntp:questions] Meinberg DCF77 C51 with Linux 2.6

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Mon Feb 12 07:56:59 UTC 2007

Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
>> All this talk of gender benders and null-modem adapters is exactly why I
>> use the Yost serial connector scheme:
>>
>>  http://yost.com/computers/RJ45-serial/
>>
>> My notes from http://ntp.isc.org/Support/ConfiguringParseRefclocks say I
>> used DCE adapters for the serial ports on our Meinberg GPS167BGT and a
>> DTE
>> adapter for the Meinberg DCF77-C51
>

> There's one glaring omission in this "standard": It should have
> suggested creating a set of short Male-Female twist cables!
>
> This would allow you to use standard Cat-5 for all longer runs, then
> adding one of the twisters at either end, instead of having to crimp up
> non-standard cables.
>
> BTW, Sun use RS232 (DB9) to RJ-45 adapters on all the console cables
> I've seen. :-)
Motorola used to have the ttys on their VME Products configurable DCE/DTE.
This can be a real boon _or_ just another level of errorproneness.

I come across too many different types and funny pinouts to attain
happyness with something like the yost stuff.

I've fixed this for me with
0.	have some of these little diagnostic led boxes.
1.	buy only male -> female cables of same plug type.
		makes extending easy.
2.	Do the gender/pinout thing with genderchangers or mini breakout boxes.
           first fix with little jumper cables, final with wire wrap.
3-5	LABEL this adapter properly

> Terje
uwe