[ntp:questions] ntpd 4.2.4 crash on NetBSD/i386

Richard B. gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 22:54:33 UTC 2007

Pierre Dubuc wrote:

> I just got a new NetBSD box running. It's an old 486 with 16MB RAM and
> 515MB hard drive. The NetBSD 3.1 GENERIC kernel takes up more than half
> the RAM, and launching the stock ntpd (4.2.0) that's part of the
> distribution failed with a message saying "mlockall(): Cannot allocate
> memory". There is a 64MB swap partition on the machine.
<snip>
> I'm open to suggestions at this point. I also question whether there are
> specific kernel options that must be turned on in order for ntpd to work
> (other than basic networking, I mean).

If this is an exercise in mascohism I'll leave you to your enjoyment
thereof.  Otherwise it's time to swallow your pride and go trash
picking!!  Better machines than your old 486 are being curbsided every
day!  You not only get more processing power you also get more memory
and more disk.  You get PCI bus slots instead of ISA or EISA.  Not only
that, but you can still buy memory for them!

If you happen to be in the Philadelphia area I could probably give you a
better machine!