[ntp:questions] NTP not synchronizing to server

george_joby kottayamachayen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 01:34:01 UTC 2007

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> george> Hi I am trying to configure NTP for Redhat Linux AS 4 update 4
> george> running in DL585 with Windows Server 2003.  My ntp is no longer
> george> synchronizing with the servers specified in ntp.conf
>
> george> server 172.16.0.201 prefer
>
> Have you read http://ntp.isc.org/Support/StartingNTP4 ?
>
> Why are you not using iburst?
>
> How about the output of ntpq -p 172.16.0.201 ?
>
> Why are you running a local refclock on this machine?

I had tried using iburst ... I removed the local refclock but ntpd is
not synchronizing at all when i use Windows server. But no issues when
i use a Linux server.

ntpq -p 172.16.0.201  showed

[root at txnaslload03 ~]# ntpq -p 172.16.0.201
172.16.0.201: timed out, nothing received
***Request timed out

But i am able to ping to 172.16.0.201 and i have connected the client
and server using a cross cable.

Does Windows w32time support NTP ?? or itz is based on SNTP ??