[ntp:questions] Stratum goes back to 16 all the time

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jan 13 18:29:46 UTC 2007

independence wrote:
> I tried leaving the server on it's own now for a week or two, I havn't
> restarted niether ntpd or the server it self, but my time doesn't seem
> to be very accurate anyways. I tried adding my server to the swedish
> pool (www.pool.ntp.org), but I get a very low "score" since my server
> replies with bad times I think. It also reports that my server doesn't
> reply at all once in a while, I don't know why this would be. I have an
> uptime for about three weeks, and I have had access to the internet the
> whole time. I do however think that I have some packetloss, I tried
> pinging a server at my university 1000 times, and 6 packets got lost.
> This is below 1% packetloss, but the timeserver doesn't answer like 10%
> om the time or so. I have tried to get rid of this packetloss, and
> contacted my ISP, but no luck so far. Is a packetloss of below 1% very
> bad?

Packetloss is not unusual and NTP was designed in a era when networks
were a lot more unreliable than they are today. You've provided
absolutely no information here. Also the swedish server pool is
se.pool.ntp.org and not www.pool.ntp.org.

You need to tell as the version of ntp that you are running, the O/S and
version, output from ntpq -p, and your ntp.conf file. Also are you
running this on a system that is changing IP addresses, ie does it get
it's IP address from DHCP. If so you need to run ntp 4.2.4 which takes
care of local address changes.

Danny