[ntp:questions] Servers with identical ntp.conf keep falling out of sync

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jan 16 13:24:17 UTC 2007

Gushi wrote:
> Hey all, I have two servers in two different datacenters using the same
> ntp.conf.
>
> To wit:
>
> # Prohibit general access to this service.
> restrict default ignore
>
> # Permit all access over the loopback interface.  This could
> # be tightened as well, but to do so would effect some of
> # the administrative functions.
> restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
>
> The problem is, that the servers keep drifting apart from each other,
> to the degree that DNS TSIG transactions break down.

TSIG is not involved here. What makes you think it is? A simple DNS
lookup for an A or AAAA records would never involve TSIG.

The query from each machine MAY return a different list of IP addresses
since not only will they start ntpd at different times they will also
receive a list in a different order and currently we only use the first one.

> Is there anything
> obvious to try to fix this?  Usually when this happens, killing ntpd
> and then running ntpdate will fix it.

You need to post the output from ntpq and the version of ntpd you are
running.

Danny