[ntp:questions] Synchronizing Linux clients with Windows Server 2003 NTP

Ry malayter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 13:48:27 UTC 2007

george_joby wrote:
> Can any body help me in this. Will w32time work with linux ?

Yes it will, but you are better off doing it the other way around
(having the windows box take time from the Linux box). The "real" NTP
provides better precision (Windows Time Service is limited to abotu
16ms), so it should be the source. You should also give it access to an
internet NTP time server if at all possible (simply opening UDP port
123 outbound for one machine isn't much of a security risk).

In most cases, Windows 2003 SP1 will not serve time to clients when it
has no access to an external time source itself. You will see error
messages indicating this in Event viewer. I am betting that is what you
are experiencing.