[ntp:questions] How to keep system time from drifting way off if only time source is internal (NMEA $GLL)?

Lennart Ramberg ramberg.lennart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 17:50:49 UTC 2007

Hello,
New to a lot of this, and overwhelmed by all information, I would
apreciate if someone could tell me if this is a dead end:

I want to keep my Linux system clock at UTC and I accept if it is off
with say max 1 *second*
- even if it never gets connected to any network.
The only available source to be assumed is the NMEA-sentence $GLL
derived from a serial line (just two wires, no PPL-signal).

So, I figured I could serve ntpd using that thus received UTC, when I
know it is freshly received.
I would then, in my application in the same machine, use an
UDP-socket, to send something (yet for me to learn what) to port 123.

Could that be a way to go?
Any pointer to better solutions is, of course, also appreciated.

Thanks
Lennart Ramberg