[ntp:questions] nptq -p slowness

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Mon Jan 29 05:33:51 UTC 2007

Dave,

I did a lot of driving today and I'm pretty tired.

I believe the desired goal is to display the refid field in 2 forms:

- the "string" form in the case of a refclock
- a non-IPv4 format otherwise

The last time I talked to you I recall you said you wanted to keep the IPv4
format because it helped you understand exactly what machine was being
referenced.

This topic is being discussed at:

 http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Dev/UpdatingTheRefidFormat

and I believe the issue is now more complicated because we can now specify
an arbitrary stratum for a refclock, which means we can no longer use the
stratum as the means to decide if a refid is the name of a refclock or not.

It should be pretty easy to stop doing DNS lookups on the refid.

It may be more Interesting to do more, as I am no longer sure we can
cleanly decide when a refid refers to a refclock or not.